Examining the practical steps that businesses can take to eliminate deforestation from their supply chains
Join BusinessGreen, in association with Asia Pulp and Paper, for a Twitter debate examining the practical steps businesses need to take to help tackle deforestation.
How can businesses successfully eliminate deforestation from their supply chains, while still supplying customers with the products they need?
This is just one of the many questions that we will be seeking to answer in BusinessGreen's Twitter Debate next week, gathering together a wide range of experts to discuss one of the biggest issues that businesses face in their quest to halt climate change and become more sustainable.
The debate will be held at 2.30pm to 3.30pm BST on Tuesday June 30, hosted by BusinessGreen editor James Murray (@James_BG) and featuring:
Aida Greenbury, head of sustainability for APP (@AidaGreenbury)
John Sauven, Greenpeace executive director (@johnsauven)
Katie McCoy, CDP's head of forests program (@KatieCDP)
Scott Poynton, founder of The Forest Trust (@ScottPoynton)
Hannah Hislop, global advocacy manager at Unilever (@HannahHislop)
Fiona Wheatley, sustainable development manager, Marks & Spencer (@FWWheatley)
The debate will cover a wide range of topics during the hour, including:
- How do you assess companies' direct and indirect contributions to deforestation?
- How do you effectively work with others to address the past legacy of deforestation?
- What is the most effective financing model to deliver restoration and conservation programmes at the scale required?
- How can end customers play a part in the fight against deforestation?
- What practical steps can be taken to reduce the incidence and impact of deforestation and what reporting mechanisms can help to deliver zero deforestation commitments?
- How can you make sure suppliers are compliant with your zero deforestation policies?
- What are the commercial benefits that come with a more responsible approach to tackling deforestation?
BusinessGreen readers can get involved by putting forward their ideas and proposals for tackling deforestation and taking part in the Twitter debate using the hashtag #zerodeforestation or emailing [email protected] with the subject line "Zero deforestation debate questions".
Let us know how your business is addressing deforestation, the challenges you have identified in tackling deforestation, and any questions or suggestions you may have for those businesses and policymakers on the environmental frontline in the world's forests.
We'll pick a wide range of questions to ask our panellists. Please click here to add a reminder for the debate to your calendar.
All the green business news from around the world this week
'Without companies aligning their business models and operations with the SDGs - they simply won't be achieved' experts warn
Climate Bonds Initiative forecasts major global growth ahead that could see first $1tr issuance hit in early 2020s
The fund's new targets are intended to align with targets set by the UK Green Building Council